Header/Navigation Bar

Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Spinach Lasagna

Happy Tuesday Lovies! As promised from yesterday's post- here is the spinach lasagna recipe! This was the very first recipe I found on my own when I started getting interested in cooking. I just had my practice test when one of my dear friends had her baby girl. I will have to say I had a few hesitant when were planning this girls night baby dinner. Everyone is so used to have some kind of meat but this was a HUGE hit! My friends coined this my "signature dish." I will have to say I'm flattered and I kinda like it :). I can't take all the credit, I found this at The Fresh Market Recipes. I do a few modifications to their original so see below.

Ingredients:
1 pound small curd cottage cheese (you can also use ricotta)
2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded (I usually end up using a smidge more!)
1 egg
10oz. fresh spinach (you can use frozen but I just prefer fresh)
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
40 oz. of Marinara Sauce (I use The Fresh Market brand marinara or anything organic)
8 oz. of lasagna noodles, uncooked
1 cup of water
1/2 Parmesan cheese
I also usually add mushrooms and other veggies we have at the house at the time (totally optional)

Prep:
In a large bowl mix the cottage cheese, 1 1/2 cup mozzarella, egg, spinach, salt, oregano, pepper, and other veggies. In a 13X9X2 inch baking dish, layer 1 1/2 cup of spaghetti sauce, 1/3 of noodles, and 1/2 of cheese-spinach mixture. Repeat layering. Top with remaining noodles then remaining 2 cups of sauce. Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Pour water around the edges. Cover tightly with foil. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour 15 mintues (1 hour for pre-cooked noodles) or until bubbly. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.


The Hubs and I actually think this is better if I make it the night before and reheat when ready to serve. It's my go-to dinner when taking baby dinners these days. It also freezes very well!

No comments:

Post a Comment