Header/Navigation Bar

Friday, June 27, 2014

Five on Friday- What's for Dinner?

It's FRIDAY! This week I decided to talk about what I've been cooking lately.

1- I decided to attempt the Grilled Veggie Wraps that Megan posted about. I'll be honest- maybe I did something wrong- these were ok. They weren't by any means awlful but just not what I was exepecting. I think after much thought it was the rice that I'm not fan of. The Hubs decided to make his in a wrap.
I opted to do more of a bowl. We had a few pieces of beef tips and chicken left over from grilling the night before so we tossed these in just because.
2- This Tortellini Salad idea came from Katie's Blog- Greek Tortellini Salad. I took it over to a neighbor's house when we grilled out. She asked for the recipe! I will definitely be making this again.


 3- Chicken Stir-Fry is always a go to at my house. I always keep a couple of frozen chicken breasts, frozen veggies, and pad thai noodles around. I cut cup the defrosted chicken into bite sizes and cook in a bit of sesame oil. I add some amino acids and a bit of teryiaki sauce. Toss in the frozen veggies and let simmer for 8 minutes covered in the wok. I boil some water and toss in the pad thai noodles for 8 minutes. Toss the noodles into the meat/veggies. I usually add a bit of cornstarch to the sauce and serve. These are my leftovers for lunch one day this week since I forgot to take pictures at dinner.


4- Salmon Patties- A coworker made these for a work function a few years ago. They were immediately added to my household rotation. The recipe makes 2 1X3 inch patties. 1- 6oz can of salmon, 1/4 cup of small onion finely chopped and sauteed until softened, 1 egg, 1 tbsp of worchester sauce, 1 tbsp of Texas Pete, dash of black pepper, dash of salt, dash of garlic power, 1/4 cup of bread crumbs, and a drizzle of olive oil. Heat the skillet to medium. Mix all the ingredients together and fold in the salmon. Divide into two parts, use your hand to gently form 2 patties. Add the oil and the patties. Cook about 7-10 minutes on each side. The Hubs isn't a huge salmon fan but loves these!



5- Sausage and Grits Casserole- A former coworker made this for a brunch at the office. I knew immediately my Hubs would love it. He requests this for his breakfast during the week. I can make the casserole and divide it into tupperware containers. He can just reheat them in the am. Ingredients: 1lb. and 1/2 of hot sausage, 1 cup of grits, 1 cup of grated cheddar cheese, 4 eggs broken and stirred, 3/4 cup of milk, and pepper to taste. Brown the sausage and drain. Bring 3 1/2 cups of salted water to a boil. Add grits and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in cheese until melted. Mix remainder of ingredients and pour into a greased 9X13 casserole dish. Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes. This can be made the night before and then cooked or reheated. (Please excuse my half eaten picture- again I forgot to take a picture until we had already dug in!)



What have you been cooking lately? I had already drafted this post before I saw that they are taking a break from 5 on Friday. So I figured I would go ahead and post this one. :)

Linking up with April, Christina, Natasha, and Darci.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, gosh! I shouldn't have read this while I was waiting for dinner (pizza) to get here. Makes me want to go raid the pantry for food! Everything looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate that feeling! I have to avoid the grocery store when hungry because I'll come out with $300 worth of groceries..lol. Thanks for stopping by! I hope your pizza gets there soon.

      Delete